Wednesday, April 09, 2008

DANTE'S INFERNO OPENS TONIGHT!


Happy Dante’s Inferno day! I just wanted to take a moment or two to remind anyone and everyone in the Los Angeles area that tonight is the official opening night of Joe Dante’s Dante’s Inferno film festival at the beloved New Beverly Cinema. Joe will be there tonight, introduced by none other than Edgar “The Wright Stuff” Wright, and the gentlemen will kick off a hair-raising double bill of Mondo Cane, the original provocative reality documentary, and Cy Endfield’s Zulu, a spectacular adventure starring Michael Caine and Stanley Baker that does not get as much exposure, big screen or not, as it deserves. So to see it unspool in wide screen, in the presence Mssrs. Dante and Wright this evening, should be a singular treat.

For those waiting patiently (and some not so patiently) for my interview with Joe Dante, I had planned to have it up and running today—it’s sitting there in my digital recorder ready and waiting to be transcribed and edited. However, life has intervened in an annoying and unexpected way, causing the post to be postponed by a couple of days. First of all, a new round of classes has started this week and I have to make sure I keep up on my reading, which bites a big chunk out of time I have set aside to work on the interview. But more pressing even than that, I ended up spending the day on a bed in the E.R. yesterday after it was determined that my blood sugar levels were on their way to Saturn. Further monitoring is on the way, to be sure, but the problem is extremely treatable. In other words, time I could have spent earning a living or studying or editing the interview was instead whiled away watching a Dodger game from a hospital gurney with an I.V. jammed into my hand. (And you know what? Considering the way the Dodgers have been playing this series with Arizona, being close to immediate medical attention is probably not a bad idea.)

So stick with me, make sure to check the New Beverly Cinema schedule for updates on the film festival, and keep watching—the Joe Dante interview is coming in the next day or so, I promise!

8 comments:

Greg said...

Dennis - Jesus, be careful! My father didn't discover he had developed late-term diabetes until after he blacked out in a parking lot and woke up in a hospital after reconstructive surgery had been performed on his mouth (he went face down on the pavement). It is treatable, yes, but just be careful. High blood sugar can cause dangerous blackouts and if you're in a car or at the top of stairs with no one else around there's no chance of treatment after that. We love you too much here.

Take your time on the Dante interview. Whenever you can do it, you can do it.

bill said...

Okay, okay, don't panic him, Jonathan. Dennis, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple of years ago (the truth is out!), and I'm doing just fine. Oh, my blood sugar goes up unexpectedly from time to time, but nowhere near dangerous levels. And sometimes I don't do exactly what I'm supposed to do, but I do pretty well. And I'm still able to eat things which are delicious, so there's that.

The point being, yes, it's serious. But if you're smart about it, and take care of yourself, you'll be fine. Hang in there, buddy.

bill said...

I should add, regarding eating delicious foods: I meant that I eat delicious foods that won't jack up my blood sugar.

Greg said...

I hope I didn't panic anybody, I just want him to be careful that's all.

Dennis Cozzalio said...

Fear not. Panic, for better or worse, is not my mode. (I slept way better than my wife did last night.) However, I do appreciate you thoughts and support. And Bill's right-- it's way treatable with some consideration and intelligence. Thanks, gentlemen!

bill said...

That's the right attitude, Dennis. I wish I could say that was MY attitude at the time of my diagnosis, but I'm a panicker and a worrier by nature. However, I came around eventually, and was able to put things in perspective. For one thing, if I'd kept on the road I was travelling, I might have ended up with something far less treatable. For another thing, there are many people out there dealing with far worse afflictions than this, and they get by. With Dennis and me, as long as we keep our heads screwed on straight, and listen to our doctors*, we'll be cool.


*And my doctor even told me he expected me to splurge now and again, which is very understanding. Now, I don't know what he meant by "splurge", but when I do indulge, I still don't go nuts.

The Mysterious Ad[ri.an B)e;ta]m.a.x. said...

Get better, Dennis! Was it those tasty ribs that our coworker brought into the office?!? That dude is dangerous. Stay away from him. We work in a dangerous place. I didn't even realize this had happened since I saw you walking around normally the last coupla days. Sorry to hear about it. :(

The Mysterious Ad[ri.an B)e;ta]m.a.x. said...

Did you notice the New Beverly linked back to your blog entry on the Dante festival? Nice work!